terça-feira, 18 de dezembro de 2018

Os natais de Agatha Christie.

 
 
 
         Devo a Mário Cabeças, que estuda com afinco a história das ameixas de Elvas, esta deliciosa referência a Agatha Christie, que não só colocou as ameixas de Elvas no enredo da sua história The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding (1960) como, ao recordar o Natal na sua autobiografia (1977), fala de novo do delicioso fruto. Aqui vai a transcrição em inglês, Boas Festas.
 
Christmas was the supreme Festival, something never to be forgotten. Christmas stockings in bed. Breakfast, when everyone had a separate chair heaped with presents. Then a rush to church and back to continue present opening. At two o’clock Christmas Dinner, the blinds drawn down and glittering ornaments and lights. First, oyster soup (not relished by me), turbot, then boiled turkey, roast turkey, and a large roast sirloin of beef. This was followed by plum pudding, mince pies, and a trifle full of sixpences, pigs, rings, bachelors’ buttons and all the rest of it. After that, again, innumerable kinds of dessert. In a story I once wrote, The Affair of the Christmas Pudding, I have described just such a feast. It is one of those things that I am sure will never be seen again in this generation; indeed I doubt nowadays if anyone’s digestion would stand it. However, our digestions stood it quite well then.
I usually had to vie in eating prowess with Humphrey Watts, the Watts son next to James in age. I suppose he must have been twenty-one or twenty-two to my twelve or thirteen. He was a very handsome young man, as well as being a good actor and a wonderful entertainer and teller of stories. Good as I always was at falling in love with people, I don’t think I fell in love with him, though it is amazing to me that I should not have done so. I suppose I was still at the stage where my love affairs had to be romantically impossible–concerned with public characters, such as the Bishop of London and King Alfonso of Spain, and of course with various actors. I know I fell deeply in love with Henry Ainley when I saw him in The Bondman, and I must have been just getting ripe for the K.O.W.s (Keen on Wallers), who were all to a girl in love with Lewis Waller in Monsieur Beaucaire.
Humphrey and I ate solidly through the Christmas Dinner. He scored over me in oyster soup, but otherwise we were neck and neck. We both first had roast turkey, then boiled turkey, and finally four or five slashing slices of sirloin of beef. It is possible that our elders confined themselves to only one kind of turkey for this course, but as far as I remember old Mr Watts certainly had beef as well as turkey. We then ate plum pudding and mince pies and trifle – I rather sparingly of trifle, because I didn’t like the taste of wine. After that there were the crackers, the grapes, the oranges, the Elvas plums, the Carlsbad plums, and the preserved fruits. Finally, during the afternoon, various handfuls of chocolates were fetched from the store-room to suit our taste. Do I remember being sick the next day? Having bilious attacks? No, never. The only bilious attacks I ever remember were those that seized me after eating unripe apples in September. I ate unripe apples practically every day, but occasionally I must have overdone it.
 
 
 

 
 

 

5 comentários:

  1. Meu Deus, a Agatha Christie falou nas ameixas de Elvas!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Olà, gostava saber se podria escrever um post sobre isto no meu blogue, Gialli-e-Geografie. Obvio que, sendo uma traduçao deste post de Vocé, iria mencionar a origem (a ser o Seu blogue). Aguardo resposta, entretanto: Boas Festas

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Sem qualquer problema, pedia apenas a indicação do autor da referência, Mário Cabeças, que está a escrever um livro sobre a matéria.

    Muito cordialmente, Boas Festas


    ResponderEliminar